The G3 special denim jacket is inspired in the ‘50s popular type II jackets and it´s fabric is woven using an old Toyoda G3 shuttle loom. The Toyoda automatic loom “G3” was first introduced half a century ago. As the earliest power loom in Japan, the maintenance can be extremely difficult simply because there are no more new replacement parts available; when maintenance is needed, they can only replace the parts by gleaning the parts that are still functioning from the same models which are no longer in use. Besides, it has very low productivity as it weaves only 5 meters of fabrics per hour. However, G3 is the only machine that still weaves the same workwear-like denim that had a unique rough surface, yarn evenness and ruggedness as what it did half a century ago. Studio D´Artisan is carrying on the legend of the earliest power loom “G3” and producing original denim with it.
The workwear-like denim, that had a unique rough surface, yarn evenness and ruggedness can never be produced by the modern machines with high productivity and consistence.
The 14oz deep indigo fabric has a beautiful slubby and rough texture with an amazing hand feel. Its irregular appearance belies the surprisingly smooth comfort for the wearer.
Among its details, we can find an amazing a customized Studio D´Artisan tanned leather patch and Studio D´Artisan custom black enamel coated steel buttons.
- 14oz unsanforized Japanese double indigo selvedge denim. It is a one-wash version so expect almost no shrinkage
- Woven using an old Toyoda G3 shuttle loom
- Warp: indigo / Weft: indigo
- Type II
- Regular fit
- Little slubby and rough texture
- 2 chest pockets
- Selvedge line colour: beige
- Studio D´Artisan custom black enamel coated steel buttons
- Custom-engraved Studio D´Artisan rivets
- SDA custom tanned leather patch
- Made in Japan