The Tanuki ET (Earth Tapered) is made with Tanuki’s 2018 earth series fabric. An unsanforized 18oz heavyweight slubby indigo fabric beige weft with a light brown rustic earth tone. It is made with 100% texas, californian and supima cotton blend and It has varying degrees of unevenness and bumpiness throughout the entire fabric. The Californian slub yarn by itself would break too easily when creating a fabric of the weight of the E fabric, therefore Tanuki has to combine it with the long staple supima cotton which is very strong yet soft, and makes the fabric durable and breathable. The weft yarn is reactively dyed light-beige by cheese dyeing. The warp yarn is rope-dyed with pure indigo, sulfur dye and a greencast indigo dye.
The fading potential is incredible and will showcase a variety of shades from different tones of blue, green hues and brownish undertones. These undertones are the foundation of this fabric and what the Tanuki denim makers had set out to accomplish: Earth Fabric.
The jeans are made with all the superior-quality Tanuki details such as copper buttons, Tanuki logo embroidered back pocket detail and the iconic Tanuki custom vegetable-tanned deerskin leather patch.
We have selected a non-wash version for this model because we love the hand feel, slub and character of this fabric in its totally pure version. It is the only Tanuki model we have in a non-wash version.
The cut is a modern tapered fit, simple taper from the knee down with a close leg opening, still offering plenty of room in the thigh and top block with a mid-rise.
Near the back pocket there is the embroidered Tanuki 二 (Ni) logo, two parallel lines in Japanese Kanji representing the number 2. The lower line represents the past, tradition, the standard, peace. The upper line represents the future, change, strength. The red and blue colours of their logo refer to Japan’s flag, honouring their roots as denim artisans.
As it is non-wash version, we highly recommend you soak the jeans in hot water before the first wear. Expect around 4cm (1.5in) of shrinkage in the waist and 6,4cm (2.5in) in the inseam when soaking so please, keep it in mind when looking for your size in the product size chart.
- 18oz unsanforized non-wash Japanese selvedge heavyweight slubby indigo fabric beige weft with a light brown rustic earth tone.
- 100% texas, californian and supima cotton blend
- Low rise
- Tapered fit
- Warp: Indigo / Weft: Beige
- Slubby, irregular & hairy texture
- Low-tension weave applied on the shuttle loom
- Embroidered Tanuki Logo, 2 lines near the right back pocket
- Selvedge line colour: white
- Tanuki custom buttons
- Tanuki custom copper buttons and hardware
- Hidden rivet pockets
- Selvedge hidden coin pocket
- Japanese extra-durable herringbone cotton-lined fabric in front pockets
- Reinforced back pockets with Japanese extra-durable herringbone cotton-lined fabric
- Raised belt loops
- Custom vegetable tanned deerskin leather patch with Tanuki logo
- Contrasting blue interior threads
- Made in Kojima, Japan by Japanese denim craftsmen