The Tanuki RT (Retro Tapered) is made with Tanuki’s popular retro fabric. An unsanforized 15oz deep indigo fabric inspired in the most popular Japanese 1970s denim. This fabric was discontinued in the 1990s and now Tanuki has combined low-tension and high-density weave techniques and several dyeing methods to recreate a fabric that has been well-known by Tanuki craftsmen for more than 35 years. The 8 dips involved in indigo rope-dyeing the Retro denim will result in a beautiful denim coloured like shadows in deep sea water and beautiful vintage fades will appear with use. It is made with 100% Texas cotton (medium in staple fibre length) to recreate a vintage hand feel.
The jeans are made with all the superior-quality Tanuki details such as copper buttons, Tanuki logo embroidered back pocket detail and the iconic Tanuki custom vegetable-tanned deerskin leather patch.
The cut is a modern tapered fit, simple taper from the knee down with a close leg opening, still offering plenty of room in the thigh and top block with a mid rise.
Near the back pocket there is the embroidered Tanuki 二 (Ni) logo, two parallel lines in Japanese Kanji representing the number 2. The lower line represents the past, tradition, the standard, peace. The upper line represents the future, change, strength. The red and blue colours of their logo refer to Japan’s flag, honouring their roots as denim artisans.
- 15oz unsanforized Japanese selvedge denim. It is a one-wash version so expect almost no shrinkage
- 100% Texas cotton
- Medium rise
- Tapered fit
- Warp: Indigo / Weft: white
- Slubby, irregular & hairy texture
- Low-tension weave applied on the shuttle loom
- Embroidered Tanuki Logo, 2 lines near the right back pocket
- Selvedge line colour: pink
- Tanuki custom buttons
- Tanuki custom copper buttons and hardware
- Hidden rivet pockets
- Selvedge hidden coin pocket
- Japanese durable cotton-lined fabric in front pocket customized with Tanuki screen printing
- Raised belt loops
- Custom vegetable tanned deerskin leather patch with Tanuki logo
- Contrasting blue interior threads
- Made in Kojima, Japan by Japanese denim craftsmen
[Visit our LOOKBOOK and discover a great selection of heritage street-style outfits]