The Yurai fabric is a sight to behold. After developing a rope-dyeing method for a natural indigo fabric, which results in rich and intense shades of blue and contrasts which makes it very unique, the Tanuki crew wanted to take things further. They created a cobalt blue weft with natural indigo. They created this rich blue by dipping the yarn into natural indigo with shorter exposures to oxygen which results in a lighter blue. The colour reminds us of the Tanuki blue that runs through all their products: YURAI means source. The denim is rich in slub and fuzziness on the surface and thanks to the loose weave, the cobalt blue peaks through the surface which adds depths to the denim. The electric blue fades will be very unique. The banana and light beige stitching adds just the right amount of contrast to this fabric.
The fabric is woven with a low-tension technique that feels more breathable than a standard 16.5oz fabric. It has a beautiful slubby texture with an amazing hand feel. Its irregular appearance belies the surprisingly smooth comfort for the wearer.
The cut is the traditional Type II style with higher pockets, slimming up the fit a smidge while giving it some additional length in the process. Thanks to that length, hand warmer pockets have been added at the hip with blue gingham pocket bag lining.
In the shoulder there is the embroidered Tanuki 二 (Ni) logo, two parallel lines in Japanese Kanji representing the number 2. The lower line represents the past, tradition, the standard, peace. The upper line represents the future, change, strength. The red and blue colours of their logo refer to Japan’s flag, honouring their roots as denim artisans.
- 16.5oz unsanforized Japanese selvedge Denim. It is a one-wash version so expect almost shrinkage
- 100% cotton
- Type II fit
- Two chest pockets
- Warp: natural indigo / Weft: cobalt blue natural indigo
- Rich in slub and fuzziness
- Low-tension weave applied on the shuttle loom
- Embroidered Tanuki Logo: 2 lines in the shoulder
- Selvedge line colour: electric blue
- Tanuki custom buttons
- Hand warmer pockets with japanese extra-durable herringbone cotton pocket bag lining
- Interior pockets
- Custom vegetable tanned deerskin leather patch
- Contrasting bright blue buttonholes in the cuffs
- Contrasting banana and light beige stitching
- Made in Kojima, Japan by Japanese denim craftsmen
[Visit our LOOKBOOK and discover a great selection of heritage street-style outfits]